Monday, March 14, 2011

Cattle Grazing in the Stanford Hills


Cattle Grazing in the Stanford Hills
8x10 original oil painting, SOLD

For many years I've admired the paintings of the "Society of Six." They were a group of plein air painters who worked in the Oakland area when it was still rural.  In 1917 the artists formed an association called the Society of Six.  I especially like the paintings by Selden Gile of cows in pastures.  Take a look at the paintings by the Society of Six, I've added a link under "websites and blogs."

For the painting above, I took photos of the cattle grazing as I was walking along the Alpine trail. The cattle seem to roam pretty freely in the Stanford Hills.  They are out in the winter when the grass is green, but then in the summer when the grass is golden, they seem to disappear, off to other pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment