Sunday, April 3, 2011

Color Charts

Cadmium Red Light Color Chart
Viridian Color Chart

As I was working on my most recent painting, California Poppies, I was searching for a slightly warmer gray than my usual choice.  When I want a black color, I use a mixture of Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue and Transparent Red Oxide.  But I wanted something that was a little warmer, so I referred to my color charts.  I found that mixing Cadmium Red Light and Viridian makes a soft, warm gray/black.  Just what I was looking for, but I would not have found the combination without my color charts.

Alla Prima, by Richard Schmid is the inspiration for my color charts.  The book has examples of color charts, plus a ton of information about oil painting, alla prima (one session painting).  It is very helpful for artists who paint in the field or in their studios. Richard discusses many subjects, such as how to "Squint and Simplify, Comparison and Conservation of Values, What You See and What You Know" to name a few.  I have a link for the book on the right under "Book Recommendations."  Check it out.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for your interesting information.
    Oil Paintings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm Black = (A portion of Carmine Garance + A portion of burnt umber and 1/2 part emerald green)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Si vous désirez d'autre astuces léguée par les impressionniste, comme par exemple le noir neutre ou le noir froid, il suffit de demander ..cordialement,

    ReplyDelete