Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sailboats on the San Francisco Bay


Sailboats on the San Francisco Bay
6x6 original oil painting
SOLD

Sailboats are a common sight near the Golden Gate bridge.  In the summer, SF Bay sailing is interesting because we get winds up to 30 knots. The water around "The Gate" can get very choppy and very dangerous...not a place to hang out at if your sailing skills are not up to par. You also have to worry about huge shipping tankers coming in through the Gate since this is the main shipping channel. Along with the strong winds are the tidal currents of up to several knots.

I had an opportunity to sail in the bay when my brother-in-law, Jeff had a sailboat in the Bay area.  My husband went out with his brother, but I was afraid to sail with two farm boys from Iowa.  Now that I've been painting sailboats I see the beauty in the graceful lines of the sails and the boats skimming across the water.  I'm looking forward to the America's Cup in 2013 in San Francisco.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us.
    Oil Paintings

    ReplyDelete