Monday, February 21, 2011

55 Ford T-bird


55 Ford T-bird
8x10 original oil painting

How quintessential California, a '55 Thunderbird cruising the 85 freeway with the top down on a sunny day in February.  The car was a beautiful sporty two-seat red convertible, so I had to take a few photos as it passed us on the freeway. Not only is the T-bird part of California lore, but also Madison Avenue, as the Thunderbird was the first car marketed as a personal luxury vehicle.

I used to avoid painting cars, even if they were in the scene I was painting, I would leave them out of my composition.  However, there's something romantic about old cars.  I've been looking at classic cars, like the VW van and Beetle and incorporating them into my work.  Painting cars is a challenge, but it's fun to paint the shiny chrome, the reflections and the bright colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment